Feedback

This forum is no longer monitored. Please get in touch via via https://www.overleaf.com/contact with feedback, feature requests, bug reports or questions about your LaTeX projects or Overleaf.

1. Allow syncing with Zotero group libraries

My collegue and I are loving Overleaf, but we'd like to keep a combined library for each paper/project we use (and we'd like to avoid having to share our full Zotero library (which also cleans up the autocomplete for references)). The best solution for this is to have a Group Library with Zotero, but we can't add any library .bib files except one of our full library.

Integrating Overleaf with Mendeley has this Group library feature, but Mendeley has some downsides which make using it painful.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! Now that we’ve done this with Mendeley, Zotero is next in line (but there are other things we will need to finish first). In the mean time, the best workaround I can offer is to use Mendeley or Citeulike.

2. Add provision to share the project pdf only

It would be helpful if we can share the project pdf with others. No matter whatever the project type is (protected or not), if we can share the pdf through Overleaf, we will be able to share them in our website or somewhere else whenever needed. Right now we need to host the pdf somewhere else to share them with others.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Table of content for the editor view

It would be great to have fast way to jump to specific section in editor view. Kind of table of content for the editor view. I find my self often clicking the table of content in preview view, intuitively thinkin that it works as link list. This kind of table of contents would really improve the usability with long documents.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. allow undo for "Add to Dictionary"

I added a word to the dictionary on accident, and I can't figure out how to remove it. It seems like I can only add words and not remove words I have added.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix Zotero urldate

When importing bib-file from zotero, the urldate format is yyyy-mm-ddTZ instead of yyyy-mm-dd. This causes "Invalid format '2014-09-06TZ' of date field 'urldate' - ignoring"-warnings with biblatex and makes it seemingly impossible to print accessed-dates of links

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow Mendeley Journal Name Abbreviations

Would it be possible to allow for journal name abbreviations from the Mendeley library to be used?

Currently, they only work via the desktop Mendeley application (by exporting a .bib file with abbreviations turned on) and not through the importing it via Overleaf. This would be a great feature if possible through the Mendeley API.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. LaTeX to HTML feature.

I think along with the pdf output, an additional option to get HTML output will be very useful. Something like this.. http://eric.chopin.pagesperso-orange.fr/latex/latex4web.htm

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. reuse the same folder of figures for multiple, related projects

We want to reuse our Figure Folder for a second project rather than uploading individual figs and wasting valuable storage space (and even more valuable time).

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. You can include individual files from one project into another project by going to the project menu, Add Files, and then choosing File from other project, or Output of other project. However, sharing folders between projects isn’t supported yet. We’ll see what we can do to provide that kind of functionality.

9. Search in all files

Allow searching in all files in the project, instead of just in the one currently active. For instance, this could have been helpful for me personally when I had to find an unclosed \begin{environment}.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. email notification of new versions

It will be much more convenient if the back end could send notify every collaborator (by email) whenever a new version is saved. Currently I have to manually send emails to ask my collaborators to take a look at new versions.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. compile latex to MS word format as well.

It would be great to compile to different versions and word. Some companies or publishes require MS word versions of documents.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Chat for discussion

I would love to have some kind of chatbox to discuss with my projectgroup what we are doing without changing anything in the tex file. You have this for example in Google Drive.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Install Sage and sagetex on your server

nstall sage on your server so that we can use the \usepackage{sagetex} to perform math directly in the latex document. See cloud.sagemath.org.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion — this is a good point. Like in native vim, you can use gj and gk on writeLaTeX to move one displayed line up or down, but there’s not yet a way to override j and k to do this, like you could in your vimrc file. If there’s enough interest, we can probably provide such an option.

15. Display structure panel

Add third (hide/expand) panel to the left of source code panel showing structure of the source file based on sectioning tags.
    Clicking on the chapter / (sub)section visible in that panel would bring you to according line in the source code.
    This would help navigating through more complex source files, especially because there is no distinction in syntax colouring between different levels of structure (which would also be a nice thing).
    TIA

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. fix the jumping cursor gremlin!

There seems to be a wee editor gremlin with the cursor potentially jumping position - the most dangerous version I've had of this is selecting a bit of text to delete, and finding a deletion actually happens higher or lower in the document. Easy to miss what's going on and get a problem in your text. I'm running Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 on a Mac.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve seen several issues that cause cause the cursor to appear to be in the wrong place. If you hit one of these, can you please be sure to tell us:

1. Which browser and operating system are you using.

2. The text on the line that this problem occurs on.

This information makes it much easier for us to track down the causes of these problems. Thanks!

17. Arrow key functionality for iPad

The arrow keys on a bluetooth keyboard don't work when using writeLatex on iPad. This makes it much harder to use writeLatex for iPad and adding the functionality should make the experience much more pleasant.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Show page counter in preview

When writing a scientific paper for conferences (mainly) with maximum number of pages it would be so helpful to have a page counter in preview.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Render the image with HTML5 and SVG instead of PDF or PNG

Please support HTML5 and SVG, that could help a lot to display real time when we do a change in the latex text instead of reder a PDF image.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Sort projects by title in dashboard

We can sort projects by date created, updated etc but would be very useful to be able to sort by title. I split long projects into numbered sections and would be useful to see them in that order.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base