Feedback

This forum is no longer monitored. Please get in touch via via https://www.overleaf.com/contact with feedback, feature requests, bug reports or questions about your LaTeX projects or Overleaf.

1. Preview for PDF figures

Thanks for adding preview for figures in Rich Text mode. It works fine for file types such as .png or jpg but not for figures saved as PDF. It would be nice to have the preview for PDF as well.
    Thanks.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Indent \end{...} properly when autocompleting

When typing \begin{...} with Auto-Complete enabled, the corresponding \end{...} gets added automatically. However \end{...} is not indented. It should be indented with the same amount of spaces/tabs as \begin{...}.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Keyboard shortcuts for common math and text formatting commands

This is a big part of TeXStudio that I appreciate very much (they're also customizable, which is nice).

For example, assigning an easy keyboard shortcut to inline math mode (the default in TeXStudio is cmd-shift-M [on mac]) and to start an equation (in TeXStudio, cmd-shift-N), etc. The toolbar has some rudimentary features but using my mouse while writing is a nuisance and the toolbar isn't very flexible in any case.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. siunitx support in rich text editor

The beta rich text editor is wonderful but I find it annoying that it lacks the ability to support properly the suiting package, especially the SI and si commands.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve Zotero connectivity

I usually export Zotero to BibTeX, using the BetterBibTeX plugin, before using LaTeX and that does two crucial things that I can't reproduce in writeLaTeX. First, it senses LaTeX-unfriendly characters, like slashes in URLs, and wraps those fields in curly braces to prevent errors on compilation. writeLaTeX doesn't do this, and as a result my BibTeX compilations on writeLaTeX are crashing.

Second, it allows me to specify my citation-key format (e.g., AuthorYear rather than author_firsttitleword_year). Because I can't do that when including my Zotero bibliography in writeLaTeX, I have to convert all of my citations if I want to start…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Icons extended for latex escapes

Rich Text icons for \ref \fig \cite all nice but extending to others

e.g. \citep \footnote .... etc

even better (if not already underway)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add the ability to import or select (scientific) spell-check dictionaries

I think it's great that words can be added to custom dictionaries; but it would be even better to be able to import entire custom dictionaries. Writing a scientific article for example in biochemistry inevitably leads to an awful lot of new additions. I tackled this in Word pretty easily with the fruits of another's labours, importing an entire scientific dictionary: http://www.jpetrie.net/scientific-word-list-for-spell-checkersspelling-dictionaries/

NOTE: I've added this as a new idea, as the previous spell check idea, on which I've posted a comment, isn't as specific and has been marked as completed

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The tabularx environment from ltablex package does not stretch X columns properly

As stated in the title the improved tabularx environment does not stretch the X columns properly. Here's a minimal working example: https://www.writelatex.com/1971391xvwwdh
    The table should extend all across the page (from margin line to margin line) as it indeed does when compiled on my laptop, but for some reason it doesn't with your web-based editor. My ltablex package date is 2014-08-13 20:58:38 +0200.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reporting this and for providing a minimal working example. It looks like our version of ltablex is older. (We generally run the version of TeX Live that ships with the latest stable Ubuntu Linux, which is currently a version of TeX Live 2014 from earlier in 2014.) We’ll upgrade this package soon. Until then, you can upload the latest ltablex.sty from CTAN to your project (http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/ltablex). I’ve now done this with your example project. Does that help?

9. Paperpile integration

The process of getting a .bib file from Paperpile to writeLaTeX is currently a bit long-winded. It'd be great if automatic import could be added... though I expect this might require some work on Paperpile's end.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. enable sort of files in project

At the moment, the project pane lists all files in alphabetical order (well, capitalised files first...). It would be great if I could sort by type, by ignoring capitalisation, pin files to the top of the list (main.tex and .bib for example) as long project panes are an absolute pain!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Create folders to manage the latex project.

I've asked this question before.
    Some people suggest me use tag to manage project,
    but I have lots project is for short note.
    If I only use tag, that will make me hard to find other project.
    The best way for me I think is create a folder to put these short project.
    I want to ask, will the folder function will be support in the future?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Full screen/immersive mode on Chrome for tablets

On my Android tablet, I can enable the system-wide full screen mode to hide the status bar and bottom navigation bar. On a "normal" page in Chrome, scrolling down will also hide the tab and address bars, giving a "full full screen" experience. However this doesn't work with WriteLaTeX, because the in-page scrolling of the two panels doesn't scroll the whole page!

On a smaller tablet screen, every pixel is vital, so can you find a way to allow the WriteLaTeX page in Chrome to appear in full screen mode (I believe the correct Chrome term is "immersive mode")? (When…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add ConTeXt support

It would be nice if WriteLaTeX supported ConTeXt macro package.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. An API for File Upload

The idea is to be able to upload files automatically, using an API or so.
    I see the requirement especially when I need to add/update figures to a project. Every time you create/update a figure, say in Matlab, you have to go to writelatex.com and do a few clicks to upload it. This process can be automated, so that I can add a few lines of code in my Matlab script and whenever a figure is created, it also being uploaded to my project at writelatex.com.
    This feature can save a lot of time.
    What do you think?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. less visually intrusive tags

tags next to the project title appear (to me at least) too intrusive given their dark background.
    I would advocate to
    a) put them in a separate line below the title and
    b) reduce the "boldness".

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Collaborative Projects and Security

More options to collaborative projects when shared links of project for have collaborators to have or not option of edit content, or can only do comments/suggestions and submit contents to add and suggestions to corrections in text. For maintain the security and the integrity of document created, permitting the collaborations but maintain original content protected.
    Tools to organize collaborative projects (notifications of people that suggestions changes in document, additions content for the text)
    Optimize time to preview tex file to slow intenert connections and save backup files.
    More templates and tips to create books.

Thanks. And congratulations to team.
    Success.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Change comments in rich text

It would be nice to change comments after they were posted in the rich text mode. So far after posting, modifications can not be made there.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Fix luatex error message pop-up

When the luatex engine encounters an error, writeLaTeX will not show the erroneous line, nor will it show a pop-up menu with the error message. Instead one has to download the log file and read it. I guess it should be easy to fix: it's probably the luatex error message syntax which is not recognized by writeLaTeX. Please do fix it :-)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Template

It would be nice if the templates are catalogued by type of LaTex (like sharelatex.com). It easily find the right template. thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We do actually have template tagging, so if you find one template of the kind you are looking for, you can use tags to find others. We’ll be adding a list of tags to the main template page very soon.

Feedback

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base