Feedback

This forum is no longer monitored. Please get in touch via via https://www.overleaf.com/contact with feedback, feature requests, bug reports or questions about your LaTeX projects or Overleaf.

1. Confirmation emails don't use TLS to send

I have a custom mail server for transactional emails, and I recently switched so only TLS emails would be accepted. I signed up for this service and the confirmation emails didn't get delivered.... looking at the logs it's because the service doesn't use TLS.

Overleaf should :)

May seem like a small detail, but in the not-too-distant future gmail will block most mail sent over plaintext.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Mathematica Integration

Latex typesets beautifully but computes specifically.
    Mathematica typesets adequately but computes spectacularly.

Combining with an integration could get interesting.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add support for IE-11

I tried opening my projects on IE-11. But it says the browser is not supported.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. add support for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows RT 8 (it doesn't work now)

Some time ago I tried it. It worked at least once. Now it says that my browser isn't supported anymore...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reporting this, but IE11 should be supported. We don’t have an RT8 device to test on, at present, but it may be that the version on your tablet is reporting that it is an earlier version of IE due to enterprise mode or compatibility mode being enabled. To help us work out why this is happening, if you could go to http://whatsmyuseragent.com/, take a screenshot and then send it to us at support@overleaf.com, that would be great.

6. can not receive the forget password email

can not receive the forget password email

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Our email provider has been having some problems that are causing delayed deliveries, but you should receive the reset email within 15 minutes. If not, please let us know, and we’ll look into it. We apologise for the inconvenience.

7. add Download PDF links from the Projects page

Often times I just want to get the PDF of a file I've worked on previously. It would be convenient to be able to download PDFs right from the Projects page -- rather than having to open the TeX file and then download the PDF.

Thanks!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. enable viewing, downloading and using of in other projects output files e.g. output from extract

When using a package such as extract output files useful to the user are created. In this case the ideal outcome is that the user can view the new file (e.g. definitions.tex) that they have output, download just that file and use that file along with some other files (e.g. preamble, included files, style files) to create a new project - or, even better, to be able to link the autogenerated file as the 'main' file of another project so that it will auto-update.

At the moment the user has realise that your system will even allow this to occur,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. [possible bug] Caret position moves when coauthor add lines above the line i'm writing to

When I place the caret on one line for editing (let's say line 100) and, meanwhile, another coauthor add contents (i.e. 3 lines) on the same file but above the one i'm editing (i.e. line 80), the caret suddenly goes up (of 3 lines in the example). So the caret remains on line 100 but the line i was editing, after the insertion of the coauthor, should become line 103.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reporting this, but we haven’t so far been able to reproduce this problem. There is logic in place to preserve your cursor position when someone edits the file above you, to avoid exactly this issue - the line numbers should change, but your cursor stays in the same position in the text. To help us track this down, can you let us know what browser and operating system you are using? It may also help if you can send us the link to a project that you are using to test this. We apologise for the inconvenience.

10. support for copy.com

As a cloud devices, I use copy.com
    Won't be possible to save quickly here?
    I think it is also very useful.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Retain soft line wrap when saving to Dropbox

Currently, when I save a LaTeX file to Dropbox, WriteLaTeX saves with hard line wrapping, which ruins the file, as far as I am concerned. Can this be fixed to retain whichever line wrapping the user has elected to use. I'm at a loss as to how to undo this, in the meantime.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. enable using command \psfrag

I believe psfrag package is valuable for scientific publications since it provides describing the axis of a graph with math symbols.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Exported PDF cannot be read

Exported PDF cannot be read by Adobe Reader and the following error message is reported: "There was an error opening the document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reporting this. We run a standard installation of TeX Live on our servers to produce the PDF files, but there can certainly be bugs in latex packages that cause latex to generate invalid PDFs. If you can find a small example that produces an invalid PDF, we can help you report this upstream to the relevant package maintainers. Feel free to get in touch via www.writelatex.com/contact to discuss. :)

14. TIFF support

Dear WriteLaTeX team,

will it be possible to implement support for the Tagged Image File Format? I am getting those out of the imaging device and I will most likely also have to provide that along with the finished document.

Kind regards,

Katrin

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I don’t think there’s direct support for TIFF in any LaTeX engine (see http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/89989/add-tif-image-to-latex), but we may be able to do something to transparently convert TIFF to PNG on upload, if there’s interest. Until we get there, the recommended solution is to convert to PNG (which uses lossless compression, so there is no quality degradation) and then upload the PNG files. Thanks for the feedback!

15. to increase the compilation time

The compilation time is enough for a small document but for several page (over 20) it is all the time complaining with "compile timeout".

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. As soon as a collaborator comes online, turn automatic preview off.

I've noticed that as soon as a collaborator comes online we get into trouble with the automatic preview. I'd like to propose that automatic preview is turned off (but can be enabled again manually), and a color change in the toggle switch indicates that another collaborator came online (hence why the preview was turned off).

The reason is that, especially with people new to writeLaTeX, they spend most of the time sitting there and waiting for the document to compile. At some point no one knows anymore where we currently are with the finished product, and so everyone sits around…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add support for applying Perl (and/or Python) scripts to selected parts of the TeX source

The one big thing with the BBEdit text editor is that during the last twenty years I have developed a lot of scripts (most of them in Perl) to apply on selected parts of TeX documents. This I have to abandon now, when using writeLaTeX. Would it be too difficult to include this feature into the writeLaTeX text editor? If JavaScript can detect selected text in the window, then you only need to plug-in a Perl (or Python or JavaScript) interpreter and apply it on the text selection. The number of things one can do that way is unlimited. For…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

More scripting capability would certainly be useful, but it’s also quite challenging. We’ll see what we can do. It may be that this is something we can address by providing an API that you can use to make changes to files on writeLaTeX with scripts that you run on your own computer. Thanks for the feedback!

18. Customized commands for vim mode

People who are savy with vim editor always tend to use their customized command keys(eg. instead of <esc> use <jj>) It will great if the vim mode supports customizing command keys.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. allow embedding of all fonts

The PDF output does not automatically appear to embed all fonts. All of my figure fonts are embedded, but the fonts used in the text are not. This is problematic because often conferences will require all fonts to be embedded, so I have have to take my tex file and recompile it elsewhere when I'm done, which is a headache.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Switching between automatic and manual preview should be per-user

Currently, if I change to automatic preview, it will be set for everybody that has the document open. It should be possible for one person to use automatic preview and another, manual.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base