This forum is no longer monitored. Please use www.overleaf.com/contact to get in touch.

Full screen/immersive mode on Chrome for tablets

On my Android tablet, I can enable the system-wide full screen mode to hide the status bar and bottom navigation bar. On a "normal" page in Chrome, scrolling down will also hide the tab and address bars, giving a "full full screen" experience. However this doesn't work with WriteLaTeX, because the in-page scrolling of the two panels doesn't scroll the whole page!

On a smaller tablet screen, every pixel is vital, so can you find a way to allow the WriteLaTeX page in Chrome to appear in full screen mode (I believe the correct Chrome term is "immersive mode")? (When editing in landscape mode, the keyboard takes almost half of the screen too, so this would be a big help!)

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jan Grabowski shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Constantine Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems all that would be required to allow this would be to add a full screen option to a menu that made a request under the full screen API.

As it doesn't seem that this is going to be implemented, however, I may make a userscript that does this and post a link to it here.

• Michbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, just had the same thought and did some quick research. Chrome allows you to add a website to your home screen, it looks like if the website provides certain meta tags chrome will actually remove the url bar and even treat it like a separate app if the home screen shortcut is used. This would be exactly what I want.

https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/android/installtohomescreen

Would be great if that could be tried out for the overleaf website. Maybe it is just a matter of adding a few meta tags and not much effort.

Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base