This forum is no longer monitored. Please use www.overleaf.com/contact to get in touch.

to fix cut, copy via right-click menu

Currently I get an error message, that copy/cut isn't supported via the right-click menu.
Please, try it, it's unnecessarily annoying.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kevin Jahns shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminJohn Lees-Miller (Admin, writeLaTeX) responded  · 

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, browsers restrict access to the clipboard for security reasons, so we are limited in what we can do here. If there is enough interest, we can look at going back to the browser’s default right click menu, which works reasonably well for copy and paste, but doesn’t let us provide some of the other features in the context menu, like synctex. Thanks again for taking the time to write this in.

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only thing that really annoys me from Overleaf! Not only when you right-click do you get the option, but also after having made the mistake you get the annoying message. Apart from that, I am a happy customer.

• AdminJohn Lees-Miller (Admin, writeLaTeX) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Browser support for clipboard operations is still hit and miss. For example, it still doesn't work in Google Docs for me in FireFox (Mac), but you’re right that it does now work in Chrome.

We have made some progress on this with “copy", at least, and it should be available in the editor soon!

• AdminJohn Lees-Miller (Admin, writeLaTeX) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, browsers restrict access to the clipboard for security reasons, so we are limited in what we can do here. If there is enough interest, we can look at going back to the browser’s default right click menu, which works reasonably well for copy and paste, but doesn’t let us provide some of the other features in the context menu, like synctex. Thanks again for taking the time to write this in.

• oeueoauoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you kidding me? I thought this was a bad joke at first. You've done all this work to make a nice web app but you can't copy by right clicking?

This also leads me to ask, why even put it in the right click menu at all?

• Kevin Jahns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds reasonable. But, from the UI perspective I don't understand why there is an option in the menu to copy/cut when it doesn't even work.
        One solution would be to open the browser right click menu only when something is selected.

Thanks for taking this under review. A solution would be really appreciated.

Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base