Feedback

This forum is no longer monitored. Please get in touch via via https://www.overleaf.com/contact with feedback, feature requests, bug reports or questions about your LaTeX projects or Overleaf.

This forum is no longer monitored. Please use www.overleaf.com/contact to get in touch.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Custom display fonts for editor

I don't use/understand the rich text editor, but the default fixed width font in the regular editor makes some diacritics hard to see. I would be doing a lot less compiling and editing if I could use a display font that was easier on my eyes! Is that heretical, or could it be as simple as the custom themes?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Changing settings seems to work oddly (usability problem)

I wanted to change my editor setting. I clicked "Update Settings," and was surprised to get the message:
    2 errors found:
    Password confirmation doesn't match Password
    Current password can't be blank

I was surprised because (1) nothing on the screen indicated I would need to enter my password again to change my editor, (2) I don't see why I need to re-authenticate to change my editor; that seems like overkill, (3) I was required to enter my password into TWO boxes, "Confirm new password" and "Confirm current password."

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add keyboard shortcuts/chords for navigating section a-la "C-c =" in AucTex emacs

the best way I could find to navigate sections is via search of name strings - cumbersome considering the suggestion in the title is available in AucTex.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Show the exact place of the pointer in PDF (jump to pdf)

The "jump to tex" works well, but the other side does not.

I am aware of the "position in preview" feature (Ctrl + Comma):
    https://www.writelatex.com/blog/158

But it just shows the related page. I want more detailed matching so I can jump to the exact point in PDF immediately.

It is a very useful idea to have a red oval (or something else) over the exact equivalent position in PDF.

And it's better to have an option to show this oval always (even though it may make the compilation slower). This way there is no need to press "Ctrl + Comma"…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. enhace rich editor

In Rich Editor when something changes showing to code (when focusing to edit) maintain block height to enhace reading and editing (avoid moving up the next text). Also a "WYSIWYG" popup could be helpfull as a next step.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. reuse the same folder of figures for multiple, related projects

We want to reuse our Figure Folder for a second project rather than uploading individual figs and wasting valuable storage space (and even more valuable time).

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. You can include individual files from one project into another project by going to the project menu, Add Files, and then choosing File from other project, or Output of other project. However, sharing folders between projects isn’t supported yet. We’ll see what we can do to provide that kind of functionality.

7. I would suggest adding templates for more scientific journals, such as, Genome Research, Molecular Ecology etc. Extremely useful!!!

I just noticed that overleaf provides templates for Genetics, G3, and MBE etc. This is great! I would suggest adding templates for more scientific journals, such as, Genome Research, Molecular Ecology etc. Extremely useful!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. One-click move of all tables and figures to end of file

Certain publishers (which is actually, one of the ones listed on your "publish" section) require all tables and figures to be at the end of the file rather than embedded in the text as per "house style". While this is easy to do with some copy and pasting, it seems like something that is fairly straightforward to code so that you can have a one click "toggle" of having the tables and figures either in the main text, or at the end of the file. This would save a lot of tedious work, especially when having to resubmit to different…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow people who use emacs or vim key bindings to click on rich text anyway.

It's fine that I would lose the key bindings. It would be great to be able to use source and vim for heavy editing, and your wonderful rich text interface for lighter editing, without having to go through preferences each time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. BTC

Please enable bitcoin payments. I would like to pay but I would like to pay this way. Thank you!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. BibTeX / Zotero / UTF8: convert .bib files to LaTeX compatible format

When using import from Zotero, the export looks to be UTF8, which is known to cause many problems with BibTeX. If there was a way of converting them to LaTeX escaped codes, like e.g. KBibTeX is doing, that would be really helpful.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting this. The conversion to BibTeX is handled by Zotero’s API, so we’ll get in touch with them and see if we can work out a way of getting the .bib with escape codes (possibly as an option). In the interim, the UTF-8 .bib files should work well if you are using the more modern biblatex / biber toolchain, which has much better unicode support.

12. svg support

Please support the svg package correclty (needs inkscape within path):

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/122871/include-svg-images-with-the-svg-package

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add starred versions of environments/commands to autocomplete

For example \begin{align*}, \section*{}, etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I suggest you to launch a page where we can easily make engineering drawings

Free body diagrams
    Beams and columns models
    Circuits
    Pipes
    etc.

I know there are some programs that can do that, but like me, there are tons of people that are not always working on their own PC, so an online version would make us happy.

It would be awesome if the online version had predetermined figures that can be scaled without effort, and someway of creating and saving then as a "model" (it would be somewhat like a "block" in autoCAD language), I mean, if I need a pipe elbow on a figure I'm creating, I would like to import…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. add timeline package

Add the timeline package. (https://github.com/cfiandra/timeline)

I was trying to use it but compiler couldn't find it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! It would be best to get this into TeX Live so it will be installed everywhere, but if there’s enough interest, we can install it on Overleaf.

In the mean time, note that you can upload your own .sty and .code.tex files to your projects on Overleaf, if you want to use this package right now!

16. Live preview is extremely slow

I enjoy WriteLatex, but it still takes about 1 minute to load typeset previews from my fast internet connection in Berkeley, California. Is there a way to speed this up? My document currently only 10 pages and doesn't contain any images or figures.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The compiler is slow and is not strong.

The compiler takes much time to compile, even the local compiler is fast sometimes. If you would like to compare online compiler then I have used Sharelatex as well, its MUCH MUCH faster.
    ANother thing is that compiler is not able to render document ignoring some small errors such as defined \hbox which is general error and can be ignored to compile the complex mathematical formulas.
    I wanted to switch over but this is too much lag to compile and not adjusting to small errors which are prone to happen.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Characters are removed when copying

If I copy paste some text from other site into my Overleaf project, if for example there is the word "different", when I paste it disappears "iff" and the resultant word is "dierent". There are some more combination of letters that are removed when pasting. Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: We have recently increased the max file upload size to 50MB, even though the 15MB limit still applies to zip uploads (also to be lifted soon). So, if you upload the larger files individually, that should work now.

20. safari bookmark picture

There is no image on the when you bookmark the page on safari, would be nice to have!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base